The metro is a quick and widely used way of transportation in Bucharest and can be a very good option during weekdays when the traffic jams are very frequent.
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday from 05:00 - 23:00 (please note that during weekends the train operation gap is higher than during the weekdays).
- 2 trips ticket - 5 RON
- 10 trips ticket - 20 RON
- 1 Day use - 8 RON
- 1 Month use - 70 RON
The metro tickets can be purchased in each metro station from vending machine or from the ticket sale office.
Buses & Trams
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday from approx. 05:00 - 22:45 (Depending on the bus/tram route. Please note that during weekends the train operation gap is higher than during the weekdays).
- 1.3 RON for one trip
How to buy your ticket?
- Activ Card is a card that can be used on all public buses and trams. To validate your trip you need to scan it on the card readers situated in each bus/tram. The minimum amount loaded on the card is 15 RON and the maximum is 50 RON. The cost of the card is 3.7 RON and can be shared between a group or family as long as the card is scanned for each member of the group.
- Pay by SMS. Simply send a SMS to 7458 with the text “A” and you will buy a day ticket that can be used on all ground public transportation + one way ticket with the express airport line. The price of the SMS is 1.65 EUR + VAT.
Where to buy the Active Card?
You can purchase the Activ Card from specific ticket boxes situated next to the bus stations. You can find a list here: http://www.ratb.ro/punct_bilet.php At these locations the card can be purchased using also a VISA or MASTERCARD card but it is advisable to have cash as well for these small amount transactions.
The most popular locations opened also during the weekends are:
- Otopeni International Airport (opening hours: 24 hours)
- Piata Presei Libere (opening hours: Monday-Saturday 06:00 - 20:00 & Sunday 07:00 - 14:00)
- Piata Victoriei (opening hours: Monday - Sunday 06:00 - 20:30)
- Piata Unirii 2 (inside the metro station; opening hours: Monday - SUnday 06:00 - 20:00)
How to scan the card in the bus/tram?
At the time of validation, the card must be held for 2-3 seconds at a distance of 1-2 cm from the central area of the validator - marked with a black disc. The correct validation is confirmed by a short beep, the green LED and the "Calatorie placuta" (Have a nice trip) message displayed on the validator display.
For the other people in the group, press button 2 and perform a new validation. The push of button 2 followed by regular validation is repeated for each group member. Completion of the validation is confirmed for each person by the green LED flashing accompanied by a short beep and the message "Calatorie Placuta".
To check the balance on the card press button 1, then place the card on the validator and keep it in the area marked with a black circle until all the information on the card are displayed on the screen.